On December 29, 1960, under the leadership of the Rev. Charles Kellogg, the historic South Haven Church building was moved from its original location at the "goin' over" of the Carman's River at South Haven, to its present location in Brookhaven. As part of this move, the church also acquired and renovated the Post Carriage House (built about 1900) which became their Parish Hall, and built the "gallery" addition at the rear of the church.
The church building original stood on the south side of Montauk highway, a few hundred feet west of the Carman's River. The old church grave yard is still located there.
The church was moved by Davis Brothers Engineering, the same building movers who raised the Carriage House as part of its recent renovation.
The route of travel was east on Montauk highway to Arthur avenue, to Beaver Dam road, to the present site. There it sat for several months while the new foundation was built and allowed to cure. The church was moved with the steeple and interior plaster intact. The move necessitated the cooperation of the then Patchogue Lighting Company, the then New York Telephone Company, Western Union, the Long Island Rail Road and state, county and town highway departments. The utilities dropped their wires, perhaps as many as 150, and ramps were laid, to permit the church to roll over them. It was estimated that it took some 50 people to move the building the four miles.
Photographs of the move courtesy of Catherine Kellogg.