Sunday, April 6, 2014

FW: Library Trustee & Budget Vote - Tuesday, April 8.

From: larry tierney
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2014 10:15 AM
To: Larry Tierney
Subject: Library Trustee & Budget Vote - Tuesday, April 8.

 

Library Trustee and Budget Vote - Tuesday, April 8. You can vote at BOTH Libraries. 

Brookhaven Free Library: please vote for Reinhardt Schuhmann. (one opening)

South County Library; please vote for Annelies Kaman, Waveney Klaiber and Ada Graham  (three openings)  

You can vote at both libraries, but only for the candidates for each library board.

--------------------------------- Brookhaven Free Library -----------------------------------

Reinhardt Schuhmann  My interest in serving as a Trustee stems from my interest in maintaining the Brookhaven Free Library as both a very effective library and a charming asset to the South Country School District.  Brookhaven Hamlet has a wonderful community spirit, and the Library is the heart of our community.  I have participated in many events at the library over my 25 years here, both as an audience member and as a musician.  As a Trustee I would welcome the opportunity to ensure that the programs and events at the Brookhaven Free Library continue, and strengthen, so South Country residents may continue to enjoy our local treasure: The Free Library.   My professional qualifications include a Ph.D. in experimental physics and nearly 25 years experience in scientific publishing.  For the past 12 years I have been Managing Editor of Physical Review Letters, an international journal that is available both on paper and electronically, formats that are both quite familiar to me. The Managing Editor position includes, among other duties, management of more than twenty editors. Other relevant experience includes nine years as a Director of the Brookhaven Village Association.

 

-------------------------------    South Country Library (Bellport) ------------------------------- 

Elect Annelies Kaman, Waveney Klaiber & Ada Graham 

ANNELIES KAMRAN  I am a native of this district, born and raised here and a former employee of the South Country Library (at the circulation desk). As such, I feel it is beneficial for the Board of Trustees to have the perspective of someone who has inside knowledge of the workings of a library, in addition to being both a patron and a taxpayer. I therefore have well-developed ideas about what a library can be. I would especially like to encourage programs that make use of existing library equipment to develop skills, such as hackathons and computer coding workshops for children, teens and adults.  I believe that the Board members should take an active role in fundraising for the library, helping to apply for grants and partnering with other local institutions. I also believe that my background in volunteer grant writing for the Wertheim National wildlife Refuge in Shirley would be of real use to the library, helping to maintain or expand resources while keeping taxes in check.

WAVENEY KLAIBER  I have served on the library Board since 2011. In my twenty-eight year career with the Federal Government, I worked at the IRS in various departments, adjusting accounts, collecting revenue and assisting taxpayers to resolve their tax problems. I also coached and mentored new hires and my peers in the correct application of revenue procedures based on the IRS Code. Prior to working with the Government, I worked with Chase Bank, as a bonded employee handling currency, notes, and bank accounts. I was a member of the PTA and Girl Scout Leader of Troop 425. I studied Business Administration at Suffolk Community College, Brentwood Campus and English at SUNY Stony Brook where I edited the Literary Magazine. I received the Gallatin Award for Meritorious Service to the Federal Government upon my retirement in 2008.

ADA GRAHAM  I have lived in the South Country District for the past 15 years. My professional career encompassed over 25 years of successful customer training and documentation leadership, having directed the hiring and training of software development engineers and interns, developed training and testing materials for major power production utilities, lead the technical writing efforts for several major software companies, and served as a business analyst for customer education and corporate operations.  Prior to that, I taught English and writing at universities and junior colleges and was English Department Chair at several public high schools.

  I currently volunteer at Seatuck Environmental Assoc., serve as treasurer of the Bayard Cutting Arboretum Horticultural Society, work as a tax-aide for AARP, and assist Gateway Theatre as an education consultant.

Brookhaven Free Library from votes 10:00 am to 8:30 pm @ Brookhaven Free Library 

South Country Library

votes from 9:30 am to 9:00 pm @ South Country Library

 




 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: